Schaftlein Report | Mixed News on the Economy
1) Consumer confidence rises during March as banking crisis somewhat subsides – good news
1A) Disney joins a list of companies with a layoff announcement of 7,000 which is not a surprise
1B) There is absolutely no progress in the debt ceiling debate – bad news and we’ll explain
1C) Commercial Real Estate loans are becoming a concern particularly in NYC and SF as
debt will roll over at higher interest rates
1D) Hearings in the Senate on the SVB collapse as regulators testify
1E) Sam Bankman Fried charged with Bribery of Chinese official as the former Crypto boss charges increase in his fraud scheme
2) The Nashville Trans gender (man to a woman) shooter had a manifesto to attack the Christian Academy killing 6.
Brave police officers likely saved many more sa they took out the shooter within 6 minutes
3) 39 killed in fire at U.S./ Mexico migrant facility in Juarez.
4) A weapons facility in Norway was unable to increase artillery production to meet demand because a Tic Tok data center was
sucking up all of the electricity..
4A) Russia pulls back in parts of Ukraine as losses continue unabated. A spring counter -offensive is likely
5) A Rand Paul staffer was randomly attacked in Washington close proximity tot he capitol in broad daylight by a 42 year old black man just release from a 12 year prison term.
“voices told him to do it. One day out and right back in jail.
6) In a classic case of government over reach, Journalist Matt Taibbi who broke the Twitter Files story was visited by IRS. Charmian Jim Jordan wants answers.
7) Israeli tensions ease as Netanyahu suspends judicial overhaul which was tearing the country apart.
8) In Chicago mayor race, Paul Vallas leads Brandon Johnson by 6 points. Vallas supports the police while Johnson wants to Defund.